Saturday, June 24, 2017


Image courtesy of Visit NSW

I had reason to travel to the beautiful Hunter Valley recently - renowned for its vineyards, Angus beef cattle, thoroughbred horses and coal.

The mines aren't quite so pretty as this but the whole valley is one outrageously large coal deposit. Quality ore. Which we dig up and sell around the world.

Let's just stick with the pleasant images, shall we?

I stayed in a beautiful historic home, now a bed & breakfast. Segenhoe Inn is a classic Colonial Georgian two storey built in 1837 from the same gorgeous sandstone used to construct so many Australian colonial buildings. The Hunter Valley was settled not that long after the settlement of Australia in 1788.

The walls are about 12 inches thick with the door jams and skirting boards made from wide planks of Australian red cedar felled from the area. Large rooms, high ceilings, big comfortable beds -  it has the lot. There is also a cosy cafe at the back.

In nearby Scone, there was a terrific restaurant - The Cottage - housed in another heritage property. Delicious food!

It was nice to catch up with family, many of whom I haven't seen for far too long.  On the way home I stopped in at Glendoon Patchwork Cottage.

Fabrics at Glendoon Cottage Patchwork
I know, I know. I'm supposed to be quilting from the stash but . . . .

Well, there was such a lovely selection of Civil War Reproduction fabrics that I just had to collect a few for my quilt.

This is a good time of the year to visit another historic town - Morpeth - so I might just have to call in to Glendoon again.

Sunday, June 11, 2017


You guessed it! YELLOW is the colour for June in the RSC 2017 Challenge. There are so many wonderful blocks being made for this quilt-a-long.

Canuck Quilter's butterflies escaped into the garden and I'm in awe of so many other RSC creations.

I'm linking up with SoScrappy's Saturday.

Also found time to make another Civil War style block. This one is called Jack in the Box.

I'm saving all the offcuts and leftovers from these blocks to make smaller blocks - maybe some of the Moda Blockheads?

I saw them used as the centre of Ohio Star blocks and I quite like the idea.  Looks like I've got some catching up to do!

Sunday, May 28, 2017


The Raindrops baby quilt is finished at last. Hooray!

You're right katiemaytoo - dots are addictive. I can see more dots in my future. Maybe I just need a new prescription for my specs.

Remember these?
I still use that one on the left. They don't make 'em like that any more. Beef Casserole and Parsley Mustard Dumplings for dinner tonight. 

I've also been making some jam. Aurora Plum; Rhubarb, Pear & Ginger; and Red Grape. I use the microwave as there is less mess and it doesn't make too much.

The oven timer bell just chimed. Better check on the Banana Raspberry Choc Chip Muffins and put the kettle on for a cup of tea.

Enjoy your weekend!

Sunday, May 14, 2017


It's RSC time and the colour selected for May is GREEN. Here is my block for the challenge.

It's about all the quilty-type sewing I managed to do here this weekend other than mending. Yawn.

I did head to the Southern Highlands yesterday for the Bowral Public School Market. A combination of food and crafts. Mostly, I focus on the food - sourdough breads, jams, cheeses, cakes, pastries, farm-fresh fruits and vegetables. 

Bowral Public School was built in the late 1800s and the government architecture of that era is marvellous. The same can't be said for the soulless brick and aluminium monstrosities erected in the 1970-80s.

The 1893 entrance to the school
 I do so like that sandstone feature. Across the road from the school is one of the reasons why the Southern Highlands are much visited this time of year.

The region is ablaze with the colours of autumn. This specimen is a real beauty. We are actually having an autumn this year and you can feel Winter nipping at its heels. The last of my sassanqua camellias is in full bloom.

Gratuitous garden image for Pam at Sidewalk Shoes
It's rather bleak today so I'm off to scoff the treats I bought at the markets yesterday, watch a movie and relax. Well, it is Mother's Day here.

Sunday, April 30, 2017


Finally managed to start quilting the raindrops baby quilt. That zig zag pattern makes it quick and easy. I also like the texture it gives to the quilt. It will be good to have this project finished.

Over the years blogging has connected me with lots of lovely people who live in far away lands. From time to time, I am blessed when a parcel of goodies arrives out of the blue. Or after several emails attempting to locate said parcel at the post office.

Gail is an amazing lady who recently gave a series of history talks to more than 1000 teenage students over several days; and who also likes to travel around the States with her trusty sidekick - a pretty Sheltie called Quinn.

As she was travelling about, Gail very kindly, thought of her Aussie friend at the other end of the world and collected bits and bobs, as well as making a gorgoeus sewing table mat and pouch. She even sent a map marked with what was collected and where. Neat.

I felt well and truly spoiled with all these wonderful goodies. Thank you very much Gail.