Saturday, April 10, 2021

frustration

 


Welcome back!

Last time we caught up I was making sandwiches and that was where we left things. I really had no idea what pattern this quilt would be quilted with because it was always destined to be sent to a long-armer.

Well, I left things too late; the long-armer retired and many hours were spent contemplating a design. It's a reasonably big quilt (for me) and the thought of quilting it was rather daunting.

Many hours with cups of tea, the internet and quilt magazines later, I remembered that I quite liked the way CanuckQuilter quilted one of her quilts using rulers.  Having ordered my ruler foot and template set from Punch With Judy, it was time to watch the videos and give the set up a run.

I don't know why I thought it was a good idea to use the Janome with its 4 inch throat space - because it wasn't.  So I abandoned that idea and moved on to the new love of my quilting life, my made-in-Vietnam Quilters Choice machine.

Ahhh, much better. I did also purchase a new Supreme Slider but it had the most noxious odour that I had to get rid of it. Luckily, quilts seems to glide fairly smoothly on the new machine.

I like these Westalee rulers. Leonie is terribly clever to work this all out. If you plan to quilt with her rulers I recommend that you watch and re-watch her videos. Then do exactly as she says for the best results.

So, your first block is probably going to be your worst and your second last block will be your best. 

First block and it's a wee bit wonky
but that's okay with me

So, one down and 55 more to go!


The colours in this quilt make me smile. Hope you have enjoyed some stitching time.

5 comments:

  1. Only 55? Piece of cake. You'll be done in no time! But you made me laugh that the first block will be the worst. While usually true, I find somewhere in the middle I also start to slip. I get overconfident in my abilities and start to lose focus, thinking I've got it down. And then the hyper focus after that makes things almost even worse! But you are right that by the last few, things will be well under control. Leaving plenty of time before the next quilt to forget everything and have to start the whole process over again... I like the design you've chosen and am glad your machine allows the quilt to slide easily. I wonder if some time in a well-ventilated area (even a garage if you have one and a safe place to lay it out) would diminish the smell? We have a chain of tool stores here, selling cheap but not always good tools, that EVERYTHING smells like new rubber tires when you get it home. Even you. The hubby bought a toolbox from there and I had to leave the house when he assembled it and made him store it in the garage for a week before he could bring it back inside. It made me sick to my stomach! But it's okay now. (I can't imagine working in that store!) So here's to 55 more beautiful blocks and a finished quilt sooner rather than later. You can do this!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilting looks great to me! That quilt pattern looks complicated to me, but the quilting will calm it down. I also have the Westalee rulers, and have played with them, but haven't really used them on a quilt yet. Hopefully next week I'll be able to start quilting all those Civil War quilt blocks I made back in 2011; they are together, but I haven't decided how to quilt them yet. Every block is different, so I may just quilt in the ditch so I don't stitch through the different designs. I really don't want to try to do special quilting in all 54 blocks! We'll see, but certainly not until it's all stabilized! Thanks for you sweet note to me this week. I miss hearing from all our old APQ gang, don't you? I always enjoy Katie's posts. ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh boy - you are doing a great job quilting with the rulers. I might have to add that to my list of must try someday! Good luck and happy quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have missed you, Ann. I have been looking at the Quilter's Choice sewing machine....you are happy with yours?? Why, you will be able to quilt with your eyes closed once you have reached the finish. I might have to investigate those rulers; they sound fabulous. This quilt is going to be lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your first blocks looks pretty good to me! I find if I step away for a while, when I come back and look again, I don't see the wobbles that seemed so glaring when I first stitched them. I agree, Leonie's videos are very detailed and helpful. One tip I have about using the rulers: I sprayed the underside of mine with Odif's Grippy non-slip spray to replace the grip tape, and it has made a huge difference. I find it much easier to keep the rulers steady and move the quilt around.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by.