Saturday, July 4, 2015

friendship



Having made friends with a wonderful bunch of bloggers on the APQ site, I thought it would be fun to make a swap block quilt. That was back in 2010.

After a really positive response - especially as most of you were sending your blocks to the other side of the world, we ended up with an amazing selection of blocks. Everyone included an incredible selection of extra goodies as well. 

Wasn't planning on it taking me five years to finish mine!

Others were more diligent and you can see their efforts here on APQ Blog Buddies Swap.

I treasure this quilt. Each block reflects the person who made it.The fabrics chosen tell you a story about the person who made those blocks.

The quilt measures  68 inches by 68 inches and was machine quilted in a Dutch Scroll pattern by the very talented Kim at kimquilt.com.

Kim's suggestion was to use a large, simple design so as not to distract from all the colour and movement in the quilt. Thanks Kim!

I also chose to have an un-fussy border and binding (cream on cream print). 

It has been such a special journey and this quilt represents that. Thank you.
 

11 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful quilt, Ann. One well worth waiting for to see lovingly displayed in your home. How wonderful to have a quilt comprising of different friend's blocks from all over the world; each block lovely in it's own right.. No wonder this quilt holds a special place in your life. The cream on cream border finishes of this lovely quilt perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe slowly, but certainly surely, your APQ buddies quilt emerged absolutely beautiful. There's no doubt it is special to you! We did, and still do, have a great group of quilting friends from those early blogging days, don't we? I've been missing a lot of them lately; wish they would re-join us! ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful quilt and such great memories. I checked the link - some very beautiful and versatile quilts. Love how everyone puts their own spin on the quilt to make it theirs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks lovely Ann. Thanks again for leading the swap. My quilt is in my living room these days and I enjoy the reminders of friends who have left blogland and of other friends, like you, that I can still visit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! I'm glad to see one finished with an overall quilt design because I'm STILL trying to figure out how to quilt mine. This just gives me another idea and more confidence that it's going to be okay whatever I choose. Maybe this summer I'll screw up the courage to actually quilt mine? In the meantime, I'll just enjoy looking at yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on finishing it! I do love mine, not only because it is gorgeous, but mainly for the friendships made. I love the block and they all came out looking wonderful. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely! And what wonderful memories!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a nice quilt to have......

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a nice quilt to have......

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by.