Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Bushfire Quilt Project

I have been overwhelmed by the care and concern expressed by our quilting and crafting friends from overseas. Especially those who were worried about my safety and that of my family. I was indeed grateful to let them know that we were well out of harm's way here in Sydney.

This terrible tragedy has touched us all so deeply and we are struggling to comprehend the extent of loss of life and devastation. How must things be for those who have lost loved ones, friends nad neighbours? In Sydney, we have watched in disbelief, the images and stories of these wonderful communities and their people.

Appeals and collections are being made from the largest corporations to the smallest business, schools, churchs and various other organisations. Let's hope that the monies collected are directed to those in need without delay or excessive red tape.

One lovely lady Tia, the wife of a US serviceman presently stationed in Australia, is collecting quilt blocks. Her quilting group and local school have joined in to help put the blocks together.

If you would like to join in, pop on over to her blog for the details. The blocks are easy enough to make using a pattern called Maverick Stars and a tutorial is available from Bonnie from Quiltville. Thanks Bonnie.


Maverick Star Block designed by Bonnie Hunter from Quiltville



2 comments:

  1. I too Ann am overwhelmed by the caring and generosity of people amidst all this devastation...I wake up every day hoping that it has rained and put it all out...Dzintra XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a great idea and I'll definitely be spreading the word. This type of thing is more my style too, I've starting making a soft toy to send but I always struggle with these. :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by.