Sunday, June 20, 2010

Sydney Quilt Show 2010


The Show was fantastic! Lots of lovely quilts and plenty of shop stands. Busy Thimbles had a fantastic display and lots of new release fabrics. Their BOMs are incredibly popular - 4 of the ladies I went to the show with are doing at least one!

I rather fancy Park Avenue and Luna Notte - both ranges by 3 Sisters for Moda.

Busy Thimbles are once again involved in Quit Aid for 2010 and their block and finished quilt design are delightful. This year's design is pretty and girly.

Unfortunately, I couldn't take any pictures because my camera is on a fishing holiday in Queensland but there are plenty of images on the NSW Quilt Guild's website.

The prize winning quilts were amazing! One of my favourites was an amateur entry - a large quilt beautifully machine quilted on a domestic sewing machine.


A Caterpillar's Dream by Rose Lewis

Not only was the detailed applique stunning but Rose had intricately quilted the piece, including trapunto butterflies, birds and insects.

Well deserving of a prize. There were quite a few antique quilt tops that had been quilted in modern times on show. I really liked these.

The crowds were incredible - so many people! Trying to get to the stalls was a feat in itself. Of course, there were so many things to look at that I found it quite overwhelming.

I predict that the felt Santa decorations on the Homespun stand will be very popular this year. The pattern is in the 7 August issue.

Other really good stands were Hatched and Patched, Catharina's Country Collection and Giggle Buttons. I did manage to pick up a pincushion pattern for my Pincushion Pass swap partner.

After all that eye candy I'm inspired to start my next quilt!

Happy Stitching....Ann !

14 comments:

  1. Ann the pictures are gorgeous - what beautiful work on the Catapiller's Dream! Thanks for taking us on a tour with you - I will have to check out the felt projects - maybe I can do one in woo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann, sounds like it was great fun and very inspiring! With so many things to look at, it must have been so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you had a good time! It's good to go and be inspired (although I sometimes get intimidated.) Glad you have your computer issues solved as well. Happy stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quite a wonderful show! I'm so glad you got to go, and then share with us! Don't you love to just stand and study beautiful quilts up close and personal? What fun! ---"Love"

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful quilts Ann on the Busy Thimbles stand...I notice the Rounierres one, who hasn't fallen in love with those delicious fabrics!!! Happy Stitching, Dzintra♥x

    ReplyDelete
  6. No wonder you're inspired! Glad you had such a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful quilts. Thanks for taking us down under!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you had a wonderful time! I am always amazed at some of the color combinations at quilt shows...colors I would never think to put together can sometimes be the most amazing quilts. Surely you came home with more than the pincushion pattern? Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't you just LOVE quilt shows? You sound like you had a great time. Maybe we will see you working on some of those ideas soon... :) Theri

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love those quilts in the Busy Thimbles stand. I love going to quilt shows, they inspire and awe me. Can't wait to see what you will wok on next.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love quilt shows. They are so much fun and inspiring. I really like the one on the left in your top picture. Connie204

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you got to fix your computer problems;) I so miss going to quilt shows. One of these days;) Sounds like the one you went to was great. I love it when the shows themselves bring so much enthusiasm that people leave inspired to create something new and exciting;)
    Happy Quilting!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So much fun you and the girls have had!
    Did you buy only one pattern ???
    No fabric, no more pattern, no kits ore Gismos and Got to have ???

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like so much fun!!!! I love the two pattern ranges you posted. I can't wait to see what you make next!! :) Christine

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by.