Sunday, March 10, 2024

space

 

Some say it’s the last frontier but when it comes to quilting on a domestic machine, throat space is everything.

This machine was marketed as a quilter’s special. It’s special alright. That’s a 6 inch throat space right there.  It means that you can quilt about a quarter to a third of a small quilt before it’s impossible to push anymore quilt through that gap. 

I shouldn’t complain as it was a gift from a non-sewing, non-quilting friend and I was most grateful to receive it.  It does sew well, has a speed regulator and a nice big extension table. The walking foot is a bit wonky and no amount of persuasion can make it sit fully straight on. No matter.


The sewing machine with the large throat space is set up for free motion & ruler quilting so the plan is to quilt as much as I can and stitch the longer middle section when Ambleside is finished. 

Thankfully I have no deadlines on any of these projects. Just pootling along working a little of this and a little of that.



3 comments:

  1. Oh, I thought you quilted your quilts on your Quilters Choice machine?? Those straight rows of quilting are looking great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kim. I tend to use the Quilter’s Choice machine for free motion & ruler work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Six inches seems like a fair amount until you get a quilt under there! But it sounds like you have a backup plan, even if it has to wait a bit, so that's good. My new-to-me machine can't work with the walking foot I have (it is the "same" model as a previous machine, but apparently labelling them with the same number while changing features is okay?), not that it has ever worked all that well for me anyways. Ah well, I, too, have alternate options. I'm glad to see you're still plugging away at quality stuff!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by.