Sunday, February 25, 2024

experiment

 

I saw a YouTube video on basting a quilt using Elmer’s school glue which we can get here nowadays.

You use a fine bead of glue - no blobs please - and smooth out the backing onto the wadding and then the top.

The wadding on this quilt is a cotton bamboo blend.

The glue was drying faster than I could smooth so the back is not as good as it should be but the top worked just fine and it’s holding together for quilting.

So far no issues. Of course if you decide to try this method do a test piece first. I also needed to loosen the glue ever so slightly with about a teaspoon of water.


This quilt is getting a Baptist fan design using a quilt ruler. I’m taking my time. Especially after I discovered that you are supposed to work in rows across the quilt and make the arcs from right to left.

Once that correction had been made, the quilting flowed better.

Usually I won’t work on another project until the current one is finished but I’m  trying something new. I’m working on a couple of projects swapping them out.  It will take longer to complete them but there are no deadlines to meet. I can take my time.

It’s out of my comfort zone but let’s give it a try.



5 comments:

  1. I know Elmer's Glue washes out but how does it feel for the needle? does it feel a little stiff while you sew? just curious - I guess it probably feels a bit like the spray adhesive that some use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting! I'd love to hear the answers to Karens questions when you are done quilting. Your arcs look beautiful! Happy quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a pretty quilt and the fans look fantastic! (Tee hee hee!) You can work on as many projects as you want to. Most quilters I know have at least a couple going to keep them from getting bored. I've heard of using glue to hold down bindings, but never for basting. I'm glad it's working well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your baptist fans look good. It will be a great quilt. Be careful swapping those projects about. In my experience, they multiply! :) It's good to have a project for different moods though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comment last month! I haven't been blogging much until lately and I hope to continue as I do miss my blogging friends. I think I will look into the glue basting. Sounds interesting. I really like the way your quilt looks and I do love the Baptist Fan design. I really looks good with any type of quilt. It is kind of a pain to have to trace the curves though. I trace a few and then sew them, and then trace a few more, etc. From Ruth, countrylogcabin.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by.